01 Aug Things To Do Charleston August 2014
For most of us, the month of August reminds us that the heat of the summer is still here but an end is not far away. Although summer does not officially end until September 22, August tends to be the month when we wrap up all of those plans and goals for summertime. For some this means completing unfinished house and yardwork tasks and for others it is time for final summer vacations while the kids are still out of school. Activities like boating and swimming are fun ways to beat the heat during a hot month like August too.
August in Charleston is hot and humid with air temperatures averaging around 90 and water temperatures in the mid 80s. Although it may be hot in Charleston this August, there are still a lot of very cool things to do all month long. To help you plan your end-of-summer fun, here is a great list of things to do in Charleston this August including music, events and sports to keep you entertained all month long.
Indoor events may help you beat the August heat, and Charleston is scattered with some fun vintage rock and jazz this month:
Music: Remember Crosby, Stills & Nash? They will be in town (without Neil Young) to share their classic harmonies that have made them a legend for more than 4 decades. These rock and roll hall-of-famers played their first concert at the infamous Woodstock festival and have been entertaining millions ever since.
Another rock legend, Bob Weir and Ratdog will be in Charleston this month. We’re talkin’ one of the most traveled road musicians of all time, most notably as a founding member of the Grateful Dead and responsible for adding such Dead classics as “Truckin'”, “Sugar Magnolia” and “Cassidy” to their collection of hits, Bob Weir is definitely a seasoned performer.
If these first two bands are too old for you, maybe you will remember Hootie and the Blowfish? You should since these guys had a lot of popular hits and their doing their best to make time for Charleston to hear them play at Family Circle Cup Stadium with their HomeGrown Weekend. HomeGrown Weekend features two nights of Hootie plus a free family day concert beginning 10am on Saturday that includes lots of live bands and food vendors, along with activities for the kids. These activities include a climbing wall, face-painting, clowns and inflatable jumpers.
If Rock doesn’t float your boat but you find that Jazz soothes your soul, you will certainly hear something awesome during the 2014 Lowcountry Jazz Festival. This FOUR DAY event is packed with award-winning legends in Jazz along with modern jazz greats. This event draws a huge crowd and has repeatedly been named a Top 20 Event by the Southeast Tourism Society.
Events: Brides-to-be and bridal industry professionals will not want to miss the Southern Bridal Show at the Convention Center this month. This is the South’s Elite Bridal Event that showcases everything needed to host a dream wedding. If you have a wedding planned, this is a must-see event for you since you can meet face-to-face with top wedding professionals.
Sports: There is ample opportunity to catch one of the 11 RiverDogs home games this month, but not much else sports-wise in August to see.
Here is the complete list (with event links) to help you enjoy your August just a little more:
- EVENT: South Carolina Aquarium’s Shark Week 8/1-8
- SPORTS: Charleston RiverDogs Game 8/1
- MUSIC: Reggae Nights Summer Concerts 8/1
- EVENT: Gullah/Geechee Nation International Music & Movement Festival 8/1-3
- EVENT: Charleston Pirate Festival 8/2
- SPORTS: Charleston RiverDogs Game 8/2
- SPORTS: Charleston RiverDogs Game 8/3
- MUSIC: Hootie & The Blowfish with Corey Smith 8/8
- MUSIC: Hootie & The Blowfish’s Homegrown Family Day 8/9
- MUSIC: Hootie & The Blowfish with Drivin’ N’ Cryin’ & Edwin McCain 8/9
- SPORTS: Hooked on Life Fishing Tournament 8/9
- SPORTS: Charleston Sprint Triathlon Series 8/10
- SPORTS: Charleston RiverDogs Game 8/11
- SPORTS: Charleston RiverDogs Game 8/12
- MUSIC: Crosby, Stills & Nash 8/12
- SPORTS: Charleston RiverDogs Game 8/13
- SPORTS: Charleston RiverDogs Game 8/14
- SPORTS: Charleston RiverDogs Game 8/15
- SPORTS: Charleston Battery vs. Rochester Rhinos 8/15
- SPORTS: Charleston RiverDogs Game 8/16
- MUSIC: Shaggin’ on the Cooper 8/16
- SPORTS: Half Rubber Tournament 8/16
- SPORTS: Charleston RiverDogs Game 8/17
- EVENT: Southern Bridal Show 8/17
- MUSIC: Bob Weir & Ratdog 8/22
- EVENT: Ballpark Festival of Beers (Session 1) 8/23
- SPORTS: Race for The ARK 8/23
- SPORTS: Charleston RiverDogs Game 8/26
- SPORTS: Daniel Island Happy Hour 5K Series 8/28
- MUSIC: 2014 Lowcountry Jazz Festival 8/28-31
- SPORTS: Charleston Battery vs. Pittsburgh Riverhounds 8/30